Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A Mere Christian: C.S. Lewis

I read my first book by C.S. Lewis in 1980 while serving aboard the USS Francis Hammond in the Gulf of Oman, during the Iranian Hostage Crisis. During that time I read The Great Divorce and The Screwtape Letters.

I enjoyed both those books then, and I have enjoyed re-reading them from time to time over the years.  I also read The Chronicles of Narnia, many years ago to my now grown children. The seven Narnia books are wonderful books that I strongly recommend to children and adults alike.

C.S. Lewis' introduction to St. Athanasius' On The Incarnation is absolutely brilliant and it remains one of the most important, thoughtful pieces I've ever read. In his intro to this ancient theological classic, Lewis explains why it is so important for us modern/postmodern people to read old books. I had always like to read about old stuff, but Lewis' article made me hunger to buy read great older books.

Last week, I finished Mere Christianity by Lewis. Wow. I've wanted to read this book for a long time, but it has taken me a long time to actually get to it. It is wonderful. It is not a book about fine theological points. I disagree with Lewis on many fine points of theology, but it is a GREAT book about Mere Christianity.

I am a Calvinist and therefore I differ with Lewis on issues such as predestination and how we are to understand free will, but even with those areas of disagreement, I have to say, "Get this book and read it. It is worth it's weight in gold."

Coram Deo,
Kenith

No comments: