Monday, January 12, 2009

I just finished watching a a program on Discovery Channel about new technologies that can potentially make us live much longer and keep us healthier in both body and mind. It was a fascinating show, that made me think of the Bible and especially the writings of the prophet Isaiah.

Why, you may ask, would a science show about extending and improving human life on this planet cause me to think of Isaiah. I will tell you why.

In Isaiah 65:20 we read "No longer will there be in it an infant who lives but a few days, Or an old man who does not live out his days; For the youth will die at the age of one hundred And the one who does not reach the age of one hundred Will be thought accursed."

I do believe people will live longer in the future. I also believe that the power of Christ's Gospel and the work of the Holy Spirit will increasingly bring the world to true and living faith in Jesus Christ.

I believe the premillennialism of much of most modern evangelicals is a grossly mistaken doctrine that has done some serious damage to the Church of Christ. Premillennialism is very much a minority position in the Church of Christ. I tend toward a very optimistic amillennialism, some folks call it post-millennialism, but I think that is a misnomer.

Christ Gospel and the Holy Spirit will conquer the world. Not with the weapons of men or coercion. They will accomplish this task by the two edged sword of the Gospel. This is by Christians living and proclaiming the gospel of Christ.

I don't think this is something that man could do, but God can do all things, even bring the great bulk of humanity to faith in Jesus Christ.

Coram Deo,
Kenith

No comments: