Thursday, May 11, 2006

Grace, Works or What?
Over the last few decades there has been a debate about whether or not you could have Jesus as Saviour and reject Him as Lord. This has been a debate among dispensationalists for the most part.

The short answer to this question is a simple -- No. Christ is both Saviour and means that he is also Lord. Here is just a little bit of the biblical reason why

If ye love me, keep my commandments. (John 14:15)

He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him (John 14:21)

Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him. (John 14:23)

He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me. (John 14:24)

Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. (John 15:1)

I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit for without me ye can do nothing. If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. (John 15:5)

If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love. (John 15:10)

Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you. (John 15:16)

There is much more that could be added, but I think that is pretty clear. We are saved by grace and it is the Lord working in us both to will and to do His good pleasure. If we do not "will" to do His good pleasure, and if we do not produce good work by His working in us, then we are not saved.

There is no works salvation, but there is also no salvation that is not accompanied by good works and good fruit.

Remember what John wrote in his epistle, And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments and He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him (1 John 2:3-5)

Remember the fifth point of the Five Points of Calvinism is NOT "Once Saved Always Saved." The 5th point of the Five Points of Calvinism is PERSEVERENCE of the Saints. We are to persevere in the Faith, and that faith, which is all of grace, WILL produce good fruit and good works, and all these are by grace of the Spirit working in us.

Coram Deo,
Kenith

1 comment:

Matthew Gates said...

If one was to accept christ as savouir but not lord it wouyld make one wonder of the reasons. I would think it personal gain, this would be living continualy in sin with christ as your saviour. To truly LIve for him you must accept him as lord. Jesus said himself that he would rather us living a life apart from him than a life that is just LUkewarm for him.