Saturday, August 16, 2008


Tomorrow morning my family and I will wake, eat breakfast, dress and then go to worship at Bethel Presbyterian Church (PCA). We will join other believers at Bethel to worship the true and living God. While we are worshipping at Bethel our Christian brethren will be worshipping at other Christian congregations throughout the city, state, country, world and before the the face of God in Paradise.

Here on earth some Christians will worship God in Lutheran, Roman Catholic, Orthodox, Baptist, Reformed and many other types of Christian assemblies. I am in more agreement in doctrinal issues with some Christians and I'm in less agreement on doctrines with others, but if they hold to the basic doctrines taught in the Nicene or Apostles Creeds they are Christian and worship the Triune God of the Bible.

I know many Protestants who deny that A Roman Catholic can be saved, and I've known Catholics who denied that any Protestant or Orthodox could be saved. Pope Boniface VIII is one who comes to mind, of course he was before the Protestant Reformation, but if you read his Unam Sanctam its clear that he would believe them damned.

I've had arguments about religion, but it has been some time since I've argued religion. I discuss religion a good bit, but I don't argue or fight over religion. It is not good to become angry and fight with a fellow Christian about the Christian faith. It is also a horrible witness to the world which desperately needs to know the God of the Scriptures and His Christ.

There are points of doctrine on which Baptists and I disagree. The same is true when it comes to the teachings of the Catholics, Lutherans, Assemblies of God, and even Presbyterians. I enjoy discussions about these differences, but I always try to remember that I am discussing these differences with my Christian brethren. I am commanded in the Scriptures to be loving and patient with my brethren with whom I disagree.

I did not always try to "discuss" in a godly manner. I used to enjoy a little heat when discussing the differences with other Christians, but I have seen much damage done to Christians and to the testimony of the faith by all out wars within denominations and between them.

We Christians need to be just as serious about the Bible's teaching regarding loving the brethren and being patient and loving toward one another.

Coram Deo,
Kenith

2 comments:

James H said...

I was thinking of your post here when I saw this

Was the Founder of Taizé Protestant, or Catholic? A Cardinal Solves the Riddle
Fr. Roger Schutz was both. He adhered to the Church of Rome while remaining a Calvinist pastor. Wojtyla and Ratzinger gave him communion. Cardinal Kasper explains how, and why by Sandro Magister

http://chiesa.espresso.repubblica.it/articolo/206302?eng=y


Anyway I think what you talked about often was seen in this guy that was both Catholic and Calvanist

Cajun Huguenot said...

Thanks James. I will check it out. It does sound interesting.

Kenith