Sunday, November 18, 2007

TK Joins the Discussion

One of my really close friends wrote to me after reading the discussion between JP and myself. TK asked, "I've got two questions. What is the definition of naked signs and forensic justification? I hate to go to A.R., he makes me look like an idiot. Please make your explanation as simple as possible. This stuff sounded interesting, but I feel like I'm on the sidelines in the intellectual department."

I sent him this reply:
Hey TK,

A naked sign is when the sign is all there is. For example, is the broken bread used in Communion just a sign or symbol of Christ body (no more and no less) to bring it to our memory. If so, than it is a naked sign. The Baptist position is that it is just this sort of sign.

In forensic justification "This doctrine holds that God on His throne declares a sinner "not guilty" for Christ’s sake. Christians, who were once sinners are now righteous because Christ’s righteousness applies to them (i.e., it is imputed to them, or counted as their own)." [sighted from Wikipedia]

Forensic Justification has to do with our legal status before God. He is our judge and we are declared righteous by God in Christ. We can not earn such righteousness it is wholly the Work of God.


I don't think forensic righteousness plays a part in point I was trying to make at all. Those who are ordained to eternal life, from before the beginning of time, will be declared righteous on the last day. A person can believe that and be a Baptist or he can believe that God's covenant and the signs are substantive, even though all in the visible covenant are not also included in the number ordained unto eternal life.

Does that help or even make sense?

+++++++++++++++++++

Happy Thanksgiving,
Kenith

1 comment:

Cajun Tiger said...

Ok...I wasn't sure which of your three blogs to link to my blogroll, but being I'm linked on this (thanks btw) and your other two or linked on this one, I think we have a winner =)